Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Are you there?

This week we took one giant leap into boyhood and away from baby town. It's not that K couldn't have done it before now, but we, as his parents, have been slower to accept that he wants to be big. We finally removed his training wheels off of his bike to see what he could do. My son, who is a perfectionist, wanted to do it right the first time and got very frustrated when it did not happen as he thought it would. His first words to his father were, "I know how to do it. I can do it by myself." I videoed the whole interaction and quickly realized that this is probably how I often relate to God, our Heavenly Father. He is with me trying to help me. Trying to show me but I keep turning away saying, "I've got this...I know how..." All the while He stands by asking, "Are you done struggling? Are you ready to do it my way yet? How much longer will you waste your time figuring it all out while I stand here with the answer?"


Now K was successful by the end and also gave in to allow his father to help him but it wasn't until after he stomped around, threw his bike around, and let out a lot of frustrated "grrrs." It would have probably have been a lot more enjoyable journey if he just would have listened the first time. In our struggle of growing up spiritually, it would really benefit us to slow down and allow God to gently guide us.

The "Pro"

No comments:

Post a Comment